Concrete Scanning and Investigations
Do you need to calculate the loading capacity of a concrete structure that has no as-built drawings? Let us help you determine the steel reinforcing design and concrete strength of the structure in question.
As part of this service we are able to provide:
- A detailed report showing the rebar / post-tensioned cable layout, including rebar type and diameter.
- Images of the steel reinforcing taken with our scanning equipment (see downloads page for examples).
- Concrete cover in the scanned areas.
- If needed we are able to take core samples for concrete strength, composition, and quality testing.
- Provide a condition assessment of the structure in question, noting: cracks, deflection, spalling, rebar corrosion etc.
Our concrete cover meter is able to survey large and small areas with ease. This service is very helpful when it comes to concrete failure diagnostics as well as construction quality control, as insufficient cover can cause concrete spalling, reduce durability, affect rebar corrosion resistance.
We are also able to carry out these surveys to SANRAL specifications using the same equipment recommended by SANRAL.
For examples of our equipment output please visit the downloads page.
Our hand held radar scanning equipment is able to measure the thickness of a slab even if access is restricted to one side of a slab. We are also able to detect voids underneath a surface bed slab.
Our partnership with registered structural engineers means we are able to conduct an investigation and issue an engineers certificate certifying what loading a structure can handle. Should the loading capacity be insufficient we are able to design and install a carbon fibre reinforcing system to increase the loading capacity.
Using Vector Structural for concrete testing has numerous benefits namely:
- We have accurate concrete scanning equipment, this means we can take core samples from a structure without damaging the existing reinforcing. (these scans can be supplied as part of a report)
- Our non-destructive pilot hole equipment allows us to drill for samples in occupied buildings
- We are trained in structural concrete repair and can thus reinstate the concrete once the sample has been taken. (we are Stoncor accredited applicators and we guarantee our repairs)
- The tests on the samples are carried out by a SANAS accredited laboratory.
- A wide range of tests are available including: compressive strength, carbonation depth, moisture content, determination of chloride and sulphate content and concrete durability tests.
Should you be concerned about the corrosion of steel reinforcing we are able to assist you with the following services:
- Using half-cell corrosion potential equipment, identify concrete structures that have a high corrosion potential. Once identified we are able to apply protective coatings to the concrete surface and thus prevent the corrosion from happening or progressing.
- Determine the extent of the corrosion in the structures in question
- Treatment of corroded rebar and repair of spalled concrete.
We use radar and electromagnet induction equipment to determine what is inside concrete. Allowing us to to avoid conductive and non-conductive elements in the concrete and positively identify post-tensioned cables before setting out a core drilling position.
The image on the right shows the profile of a post-tensioned cable as it moves from the middle to bottom of a slab.
Our radar equipment is also able to detect non-conductive materials in concrete. We are thus able to detect the positions of pvc pipes, underfloor heating, chimney flues, voids in diaphragm walls etc.
The image on the right shows underfloor heating detected with our high frequency radar equipment.