Concrete Scanning and Investigations
As-Built Steel Reinforcing Surveys
With a number of scans in the right locations, we are able to reverse engineer the steel fixer’s drawings.
As part of this service we are able to provide:
- A detailed report showing the rebar / post-tensioned cable layout, including rebar type and diameter.
- Images of the steel reinforcing taken with our scanning equipment (see downloads page for examples).
- Concrete cover in the scanned areas.
- If needed we are able to take core samples for concrete strength, composition, and quality testing.
Concrete Cover Surveys
Our concrete cover meter is able to survey large and small areas with ease. This service is very helpful when it comes to concrete failure diagnostics as well as construction quality control, as insufficient cover can cause concrete spalling, reduce durability, affect rebar corrosion resistance.
We are also able to carry out these surveys to SANRAL specifications using the same equipment recommended by SANRAL.
For examples of our equipment output please visit the downloads page.
On and Above Grade (Non – Destructive) Slab Thickness Measurement
Our hand held radar scanning equipment is able to measure the thickness of a slab even if access is restricted to one side of a slab. We are also able to detect voids underneath a surface bed slab.
Establish load bearing capacity of concrete structures
Our partnership with registered structural engineers means we are able to conduct an investigation and issue an engineers certificate certifying what loading a structure can handle. Should the loading capacity be insufficient we are able to design and install a carbon fibre reinforcing system to increase the loading capacity.
Core samples for concrete testing
Using Vector Structural for concrete testing has numerous benefits namely:
- We have accurate concrete scanning equipment, this means we can take core samples from a structure without damaging the existing reinforcing. (these scans can be supplied as part of a report)
- Our non-destructive pilot hole equipment allows us to drill for samples in occupied buildings
- We are trained in structural concrete repair and can thus reinstate the concrete once the sample has been taken. (we are Stoncor accredited applicators and we guarantee our repairs)
- The tests on the samples are carried out by a SANAS accredited laboratory.
- A wide range of tests are available including: compressive strength, carbonation depth, moisture content, determination of chloride and sulphate content and concrete durability tests.
Concrete Corrosion Potential Surveys and Treatment of Concrete with Corroded Reinforcing
Should you be concerned about the Corrosion of Steel reinforcing we are able to assist in the following ways:
- Ability to identify structures that have a high corrosion potential. Once identified we are able to apply protective coatings to the concrete surface and thus prevent the corrosion from happening or progressing (prevention is better that cure).
- We are able to determine the extent of the corrosion in the structures in question
- We are able to treat corroded rebar and repair spalling that might have occurred as a result of the corroding.
Locating the position of rebar and post tensioned cables before core drilling or cutting
Locating conduits and hvac pipes embedded in concrete
Concrete Core Drilling
Our specialized scanning and non-destructive pilot hole equipment allows us to:
- Avoid post-tensioned cables and rebar when core drilling
- Core drill safely into occupied building
- Ensure that every penetration we make is usable, as we are able to position it away for services mounted to the soffit or to the opposite side of the wall.
Using Fibre Reinforced Polymer we are able to:
- Increase flexural strength of concrete beams and slabs
- Increase shear resistance of concrete beams
- Increase compressive strength of axial loaded members
Using this material has numerous benefits namely:
- Works on brick, timber, steel and concrete structures
- Materials are light weight and easily transportable
- Fast application times
For more information on these materials please see the documentation available in the downloads/links page.
Concrete Repair and Rehabilitation
- Structural repairs to concrete using cementitous and epoxy grouts
- Repairs of spalling concrete
- Treatment of corroded steel reinforcing
- Anti-carbonation coatings
- Chemical resistant coatings
- Acrylic waterproof coatings
Our dilapidation survey service provides documentation of the current condition of buildings and infrastructure, highlighting defects in the form of cracks, settlement, movement, water seepage, concrete spalling, subsidence and other building defects.
If necessary we are able to identify civil, structural and architectural elements that have to potential to be damaged by construction/demolition activities and suggest temporary systems to mitigate the effects of the construction/demolition on these elements.
Ground penetrating radar
With our ground penetrating equipment we are easily able to:
- Locate and map underground utilities such as electrical cables and sewers.
- Provide images of road layer profiles
- locating voids below on-grade slabs
Post Tensioned Slab Openings and Concrete Demolition
Using our scanning equipment and a professional re-anchoring team, we are able to make any size opening in a post tensioned concrete slabs.
Other demolition services include:
- Controlled demolition of concrete, brick and steel structures
- Demolition using expansive cracking agent
- Boulder and rock demolition